Positron unveiled a new scent application for its Voyager cinematic virtual reality chair during a sneak peek at two-time Oscar and Grammy winner A.R. Rahman’s upcoming VR musical Le Musk at the National Association of Broadcasters convention underway in Las Vegas. Rahman is the first director to take advantage of commissioned scents on the platform.
Distribution & Exhibition
National Geographic's slate of documentary films, both 3D and 2D, will soon be available on Ymagis Group’s CineConductor including U23D, which is timed to coincide with U2's 33-city Joshua Tree Tour.
Feature film production company Crimson Forest Entertainment Group and specialty theatrical and home video distributor Hannover House have confirmed plans to merge operations under a stock-swap and financing plan, scheduled to be effective May 1. One of the first new titles to be released under the combined Crimson Forest – Hannover House structure is the $20-million dollar action thriller feature Shockwave starring Andy Lau and Jiang Wu. The film will be co-released together with CMC Pictures in North America next month.
National CineMedia has named Lawrence Snapp to the new role of senior vice president of corporate development and chief digital officer. A Microsoft and digital transformation veteran, Snapp joined NCM in September as senior vice president of corporate development and will lead NCM’s newly formed digital products team focused on delivering innovative consumer experiences and new ways for brands to connect with movie audiences as chief digital officer.
A new set of materials from Orson Welles’ daughter will make the University of Michigan Library's Orson Welles collection the world's most comprehensive resource for Welles scholars and fans. The daughter of the renowned filmmaker and Italian actress Paola Mori, Beatrice Welles had a particularly extraordinary childhood. She was brought up jet setting to different countries, playing on various film sets, interacting mostly with adults (her parents and their friends), and falling asleep to the rhythmic sounds of her father working on his typewriter late into every night.
The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers will bridge the worlds of Silicon Valley and Hollywood with its Entertainment Technology in the Connected Age conference, May 8-9 at the Microsoft Silicon Valley campus in Mountain View, California. During this year's conference, titled "Redefining the Entertainment Experience," experts and executives from leaders across the technology, telecommunications, streaming, broadcast, and cinema sectors will come together to explore emerging technologies' impact on the current and future delivery of compelling connected entertainment experiences.
Dolby’s short animated film Escape, a sequel to two-time Daytime Emmy Award-winning short Silent, premiered last week at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York. Chosen for the Tribeca short film category out of a record number of 4,38 submissions, Escape is the story of a lone space explorer who crash-lands on a desolate planet and must find a way to make her new home habitable.
Ymagis today announced that it has been awarded the Tech 40 label, marking its entry into the EnterNext Tech 40 index.
Novo Cinemas, part of the Elan Group in Qatar, has launched a new flagship cinema at Mall of Qatar, in Al Rayyan, Doha. The new cinema features 19 screens, including an IMAX Laser theatre that features the largest IMAX screen in the MENA region and seats 530 people. It also includes an upgraded sound system featuring 12 channels plus sub bass that delivers lifelike sound from all directions, including overhead, to fill the cinema with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth. I spoke recently with Novo Cinemas CEO Debbie Stanford-Kristiansen about the new theatre and, in particular, her belief in the importance of lobbies.
Ymagis Group announced today that it has agreed with Dallas-based CinTech to form a new, full-service exhibitor services company in North America. Under the terms of the agreement and subject to the fulfillment of conditions precedent, a new company, CinemaNext North America, will be created with Ymagis Group acquiring a 75 percent stake and CinTech the remaining 25 percent. CinemaNext North America will be managed by industry veteran Stan Hays. Both parties intend to start operations during the second quarter of the year